What families have told us about our adult services during the pandemic
Published on 21 December 2020
We know that the families of the people we support have valuable insight and feedback on how we are doing and how we can continuously improve. That's why we regularly talk to families about how we're doing and if anything needs to change.
Our latest survey of families was particularly important, so we could find out how we were doing during the coronavirus pandemic - and particularly if they felt we were keeping their family member safe.
The survey was conducted over four weeks and around 100 families responded. Given these challenging and uncertain times, we were particularly heartened to hear that 98% of families felt staff were keeping people safe during the pandemic (the other 2% felt they were neither safe nor unsafe). The results across the survey were really positive and we're using the feedback to help us develop new initiatives in the coming year.
Support workers in Neath recreate McDonald’s drive-thru for the people we support