You may meet a number of health professionals in the course of getting a diagnosis or after you have received a diagnosis. Diagnostic teams, which are usually medical, rely on feedback from other professionals to make decisions. Here's a brief introduction to what these professionals do.

Behaviour support team

Behaviour support teams support families by assessing a child's challenging behaviour and introducing a behaviour management programme. A child might be referred to the team by their school, GP or social worker. Your local behaviour support team may have a different name but offer positive behaviour support.

Behavioural Optometrist

There is some limited research evidence that coloured overlays could be useful for some autistic people. A Behavioural Optometrist can carry out an assessment to find the appropriate colours for overlays or lenses.

Clinical team

People are often referred to a clinical team where there are behavioural difficulties. A clinical psychologist looks at what function the behaviour has and may introduce a behaviour management plan. Specialist clinical psychologists may be involved in the process of diagnosis as part of a multi-professional team. They may also offer a follow-up service. To see a clinical psychologist through the NHS, you will need a referral from your GP. Some clinical psychologists practice privately.

Counsellor and psychotherapist

Counsellors and psychotherapists are able to talk through various issues with individuals and families which might arise after receiving a diagnosis. You can get counselling on the NHS through a GP referral. There are also many counsellors working in private practice.


Dieticians provide advice and information on nutrition and diet. Your GP, paediatrician or hospital consultant can make a referral to a dietician. We strongly recommend you consult a dietician before introducing any dietary intervention. You can find dieticians working privately on the website of Freelance Dietitians (a specialist group of the British Dietetic Association).

Educational psychologist

Educational psychologists carry out psychological assessments including learning profiles and needs, usually in educational settings. They offer consultation, advice and support to teachers, parents and to the children, young people and adults concerned. They may be involved in the process of diagnosis as part of a multi-professional team. They may also offer a follow-up service. They are usually employed by local education authorities but some Educational Psychologists work in private practice.

GP (General Practitioner)

Your GP or family doctor can make referrals to relevant, specialist professionals for you. Although responsible for the general health of their patients, GPs do not usually offer specialist advice or treatment.

Health visitor

Health visitors are specially-trained nurses responsible for the promotion of health and development in pre-school children. Concerns about development may be raised with or by a health visitor during routine developmental assessments. You may then be referred to other professionals.

Occupational therapist

Occupational therapists are often concerned with the difficulties people have in carrying out everyday activities. They can help with therapeutic techniques, identifying sensory sensitivities, adaptations to the environment, and specialist equipment. They may work for the NHS or social services. Some Occupational Therapists work in private practice.

Outreach worker

An outreach worker can help adults to access opportunities and activities outside their home. This might include assisting people to take part in their favourite sport or attend a college course. Find out more about our charity's outreach services and others in the Autism Services Directory.


Paediatricians are experts in the health and development of children, particularly those with developmental disabilities. Paediatricians are often involved in the initial diagnosis of autism and offer follow-up support in some cases. Your GP or another health professional usually needs to refer your child to a paediatrician.


Psychiatrists can diagnose autism and may offer a follow-up service. Psychiatrists are often involved where there are behavioural issues or mental health difficulties, and are able to prescribe and monitor medication. To see a psychiatrist on the NHS, you will usually need a referral through a GP or other health professional. There are some psychiatrists in private practice.

SENCO (Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator) / Learning Support Teacher

The SENCO (in England, Northern Ireland and Wales), or Learning Support Teacher (in Scotland) is the teacher in a school or nursery with day-to-day responsibility for SEN (Special Educational Needs). Parents should always be consulted and kept informed of the action taken to help their child and of the outcome of this action.

Social worker and care manager

Social workers and care managers are involved in assessing the care needs of autistic people and their families. They are also involved in arranging services to meet those needs. If you do not have a named social worker or care manager and need urgent assistance from your local social services team, ask to speak to the duty social worker.

Speech and language therapist (SLT)

Speech and language therapists (SLTs) assess speech, language and communication abilities. They can carry out therapy to assist with specific difficulties, and may also be involved in implementing alternative communication systems, such as PECS (Picture Exchange Communication System). They may be involved in the process of diagnosis as part of a multi-professional team. They may also offer a follow-up service. Your GP can refer you to an NHS SLT. Speech and language therapy may sometimes be accessed through your local education authority if it is recognised as an educational need on a child's statement, Individual Education Plan, Education Help and Care Plan, or Coordinated Support Plan. Some SLTs work in private practice.

Find out more about diagnosis, social care and getting extra help in school.

Last reviewed 14 February 2018