Photo: Two men at a computer

If you are a student in Scotland and are on the autism spectrum, we’ll be on hand to smooth your transition onto your course, and ensure that all the support you need is in place. We’ll help staff at your college or university to understand what you need to be able to get the most out of your studies. Support is currently provided in a number of regions across Scotland, please contact the service directly to enquire if support can be provided in your educational establishment.

The support we offer

We provide two levels of support to students:

1) Individual support sessions

We’ll hold regular support sessions with you, in which we’ll work with you to create your own individual support plan. These sessions can be held either in your college or university, or at our own support centre.

Your plan will be flexible, so it can be adapted or support increased at times that might cause you stress or anxiety, such as changes to your timetable or exam periods. What is in this plan can include any aspect of your life at college or university, such as:

  • travel and orientation
  • coping with change
  • presentation skills
  • managing relationships
  • timetabling and structure
  • developing independent learning skills.

My support worker helps with organising time for coursework and other aspects of life.

Autistic student

2) Day-to-day support

If you require additional support, we can provide more intensive outreach support during your time at college or university. In this case, we’ll work with you to ensure your individual support plan is put into practice across your whole timetable.

You might need support from us when you go on a residential trip or off-site visit, for example. Some students we work with benefit from this support during the first few weeks of their course, while others require it for the duration of their studies – we can be flexible depending on your needs throughout your time in study.

We will also work to raise awareness and understanding of autism among your fellow students and college staff, and we can provide training for academic and non-academic staff at competitive rates.

How to access our support

Our student support service is usually funded by Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA), although other funding streams may also be accepted. Funding must be in place before we can offer our service, so contact the disability adviser at your place of study for help with applications for funding.

You can also apply for this funding by going to the Student Awards Agency Scotland website.