Photo: two people in conversation

Moving into further and higher education can be stressful and challenging for an autistic person. We have developed a specialist support service to provide exactly what each student needs to make the most of their college or university education.

Environment and facilities

Our further and higher education student support service is based at Edward House in Whetstone. This service sits alongside our area headquarters and our day and outreach services, but the majority of our work is undertaken on campus.

Specialist individual support

Our service provides support to autistic students who are enrolled on further and higher education courses. We work on a one-to-one basis with our students, offering them support with both academic work and social interaction. From the outset, the student is in control, assessing with our staff what support they need and building an individual package.

Support packages can include:

  • support with transition
  • one-to-one classroom support
  • support within the college campus and in social situations
  • social communication in a group or a one-to-one basis
  • staff training and support.

We can provide support across the student's whole timetable or on a sessional basis.

Working in partnership

Our team specialises in working with people on the autism spectrum, and fully understands the challenges of moving into further and higher education.

Because our students are based on many campuses we have developed excellent working relationships with local colleges and universities, including De Montfort, Leicester, Birmingham City, Northampton and Nottingham Trent universities, and Regent Sixth Form College.

Having The National Autistic Society on site every day means that the students have access to someone at all times. This support really makes a difference.

College Special Needs Co-ordinator

How to pay for this support

Our hourly rate for non medical helper support as part of Disabled Student Assessment is £49 + £9.80 VAT per hour, at Band 4. We offer both specialist Mentor support and specialist 1:1 Study Skills with a qualified tutor.

How to access our support

Our student support service is usually funded by Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA), although other funding streams may also be accepted. Funding must be in place before we can offer our service, so contact the disability adviser at your place of study for help with applications for funding.

Contact us about this service