• Donating shares to our charity is one of the most tax-effective ways you can give money.  
  • You won't have to pay any capital gains tax on the shares you donate and you can claim income tax relief too.
  • If you are a higher rate taxpayer and give us shares worth £1,000 you will pay £400 less in income tax this tax year.  
  • Also, you will not have to pay capital gains tax on any increase in the value of shares since you bought them. Note: To qualify for income tax relief, the shares must be listed or dealt on a stock exchange.

How do I donate shares?

Please contact the Supporter Care Team on 0808 800 1050 or email supporter.care@nas.org.uk

If you would like to donate shares to us, please contact us and we will send you a letter acknowledging your intended gift.

To ensure that you receive the maximum tax relief you will need to keep our letter and the contract note from the stockbroker, making it clear that we have benefited from your gift.

Please note that we are unable to offer advice on personal tax issues. So if you are unsure of your tax situation, we recommend that you speak to a financial advisor or contact the HMRC helpline on 0151 472 6043/6046 or 0131 777 4040 in Scotland. Alternatively, visit the HMRC website.

Donate your tax return

If you complete a Self Assessment tax return and are entitled to a tax refund, you can choose to have all or part of the repayment sent directly to us as the charity of your choice.

As a higher rate tax payer, you can claim additional Income Tax relief on any Gift Aid donations you've made during the tax year, as well as on any gifts of land or shares.

If you want a charity to benefit from your tax relief (as well as from receiving your gift) you can use Self Assessment Giving to pass on the repayment to the charity of your choice.

HM Revenue & Customs sends your refund (plus any Gift Aid tax repayment) directly to our charity by electronic transfer. This can be done anonymously and you can also ask that the repayment is made as a Gift Aid donation, maximizing the gift.

How do I do it?

To donate your tax repayment to our charity you will need to fill out the SA100 form in your tax return pack, or you can

download the form here

. The unique HMRC reference code for The National Autistic Society is XAE12RG.