Our gardening scheme at Lonlas, Neath, gives autistic people the chance to develop a variety of gardening skills through training and work experience.
At Lonlas Village Workshops, trainees learn about machine maintenance and other aspects of gardening. The structured environment helps to make learning and working easier. Trainees receive hands-on work experience in the community through our contracts with local people and housing associations.
Lonlas has a wonderful team atmosphere in which our trainees can grow their skills, abilities and confidence.
The project also helps us to raise awareness of autism, and helps people with autism to gain respect in the local community for their work.
We encourage all our trainees to gain accreditation for their achievements through the Open College Network Wales (Agored Cymru). Units can include horticulture, health and safety, and communication.
I enjoy the activities at Glamorgan House and Lonlas with my friends.
Person we support
The support we offer
- Individual training packages and a variety of work experience opportunities in the community.
- Activities that trainees enjoy.
- Opportunities and support that trainees need to practise and develop their skills.
- Opportunties to become part of a team.
- Recognition for each person's achievements by registering them on an accredited vocational course.
- Helping to raise awareness about autism and respect for our work in the community.
- A quality service for the public and other organisations, with consistent high standards of maintenance.
Our expertise and experience helps us to communicate effectively with people with autism so we can fully understand what they want and need.
We work closely with each person to create their own support plan and put it into practice – this is a vital part of our work as it means that the person with autism has every opportunity to develop and thrive.
We also include family, carers and friends in the planning process.
Our staff have a range of specialist knowledge that enables them to offer the right tailored support to each person with autism and help them to fulfil their needs and wishes. Our staff receive ongoing autism-specific training, which continues right through their career.