The pedagogy of all schools within the NAS Academies Trust is informed by our 50 years experience in the autism-specific education to ensure best practice is achieved in teaching young people with autism. Our schools all follow our MyProgress® methodology.
We have high ambitions for all pupils, for them to fulfil their potential. We have a clear ethos respecting each young person, recognising their strengths as well as equipping them with effective supports to help minimise any barriers or areas of difficulty.
- have high ambitions for all students to fulfil their potential and a clear ethos of respecting each young person, recognising their strengths as well as equipping them with effective strategies to help minimise any barriers or areas of difficulty.
- have a distinctive ethos and philosophy: from the moment a person enters the building they will know this is a school where pupils are respected, achieve beyond what is expected, are empowered to make positive choices about their own lives and have rich and varied experiences.
- build on pupils strengths and capitalise on interests, giving them a reason to learn and instilling a belief in the importance of what they can achieve, not what they can’t!
- build on the extensive knowledge and experience of The National Autistic Society to be creative, pioneering and innovative in our approach to meeting the needs of these specific groups of pupils and use pedagogic strategies to enable all students to fully engage in learning.
- be regarded as a regional resource; a school where it is common practice to share our expertise with local schools, the community and beyond.
- establish a curriculum that enables pupils to overcome their barriers to learning, develop social skills and coping strategies and learn to manage their own behaviour.
- provide bespoke education through carefully planned educational pathways, which are focused on long-term outcomes and seek to improve the current and future lives of the students, their families and members of the local community.
- provide each student with a personalised learning programme that provides a balance of modified national curriculum and autism specialist curriculum tailored to meet their individual needs
- focus on developing functional (academic, social, independence and emotional regulation) skills to enable our students to become independent adults included in their local community
- put significant emphasis on community based learning and shared activities with partner schools that promote their inclusion into their local community.
- ensure all planning is outcome focused, person centred and co-produced with the pupil and their parent/carers.
All NAS Academies Trust schools will be:
- collaborative by working in partnership with local authority, local parents and other local provision. Our schools are part of a continuum of autism provision
- local by usually limiting the catchment area to within 45 minutes travel time
- preventative by providing support and outreach to local schools to prevent placement breakdowns
- flexible in terms of offering a range of different packages tailored to meet the needs of the individual
- specialist by providing the best possible support and education for young people with autism.
All students will:
- be respected and feel safe and know their opinions are valued
- develop functional (academic, social, independence and emotional regulation) skills
- develop vocational skills through participating in community based enterprise
- improve their social communication skills
- learn independent living skills
- develop creative skills in art, music and design
- develop their wellbeing confidence and self-esteem
- be included in their local community through participating in community based activities and learning opportunities
- benefit from our autism specialist curriculum.
For parents, the school will:
- provide a family centre as a base for parents to network, receive support, advice and training
- provide a school in which they can trust that their child with autism is being given the best opportunity to thrive and achieve their aspirations.