The Education Rights Service provides impartial, confidential information, advice and support on education rights and entitlements.
Who is it for?
- Parent and carers of children with an autism spectrum disorder of pre-school and school age.
- If you are a professional you can contact our Information Centre
- If you are looking for post-school information please visit our section on other help and advice
- If you are looking for information on the types of educational support available for children and young people with an autism spectrum disorder please visit out section on other help and advice
What can you do for me?
Do you want to know what should happen at different stages of your child’s school education? Are you concerned about the support your child is receiving at school? Our Education Rights Service is here to help parents and carers of child with an autism spectrum disorder (ASD).
- Offer confidential information ,advice and support by phone or email
- Explain education law and your rights and entitlements
- Help you explore your options so that you can make informed decisions about your child’s school education
- Help you communicate effectively with your child’s school and education professionals
- Explain complaints and appeals processes and support you if you are making an appeal.
- Provide face-to-face support
- Attend meetings and appeal hearings with you, but we can help you prepare for them
- Contact education professionals or write to them on your behalf, but we can write letters with you
- Promise that you will get all you want – but we will help you try.
Confidentiality and data protection
For training and quality purposes there may occasionally be another person listening to your call. The personal data you provide will be used for administration, statistical and other purposes connected with the NAS and autism. Information is not disclosed to third parties for marketing or other purposes not connected with autism. Technical and organisational measures are taken to prevent unauthorised or unlawful processing or disclosure of information.
Referring you on to other organisations
We may at times refer enquirers on to other organisations. We cannot guarantee the service of other organisations we refer you to.
If you have any comments, criticisms or complaints about the Service please write to:
Senior Education Rights Co-ordinator
The National Autistic Society
109 Hope Street
Glasgow G2 6LL