A flexible learning programme aimed at school staff working with pupils on the autism spectrum in both teaching and support services.
A three day programme leading to a Certificate in Understanding Autism (accredited at 20 credits at level 4 or 5 by Canterbury Christ Church University).
The course aims to:
- explore the key characteristics of autism, ie social communication, social relationships and restricted and repetitive patterns of behaviour and how these impact on pupils’ learning. Participants will be introduced to the concept of the autism spectrum and other cognitive theories that explain characteristics and pupils’ learning style
- introduce the history and development of thinking around the condition and foster discussion and reflection on current views of autism, including cultural aspects of the condition
- introduce participants to the National Autistic Society framework for intervention for learners on the autism spectrum and encourage participants to examine their own practice in relation to levels of structure, positive approaches and expectations, empathy, low-arousal approaches and links between services, carers and the person
- discuss stress and anxiety in autism and explore the principal approaches and strategies aimed at eliminating or reducing behaviours which may inhibit learning and progress. The course will include content on functional analysis, proactive and reactive strategies
- explore sensory processing differences, the impact of those and how to support students on the autism spectrum.
Delegates can enrol at either Level 4 or Level 5.
For Level 4, the entry qualifications are:
- Level 3 qualification, A Level, or NVQ3
- Supporting letter by their Head Teacher
For Level 5, delegates will need to have completed their Teaching degree.
2 October, 11 November and 11 December 2017 – London
To request an application form, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students need to attend all three days. A tutor from Canterbury Christ Church University will also be present to support students with their assignment and university IT systems.
£1,440 + VAT
Please email email@example.com to make an enquiry, a booking or to amend an existing booking.
Telephone: 0141 285 7117.