This popular postgraduate certificate in autism and Asperger syndrome is run with Sheffield Hallam University.
The course, which has run since 2003, is offered nationally and in future, we plan to offer it internationally, as it is the only qualification of this kind. The course has been sponsored and developed with support from The Asperger Syndrome Foundation founder Beatrice Buisseret.
Download the application form
During the three attendance days there will be a variety of speakers including Dr Luke Beardon and other speakers with Asperger syndrome.
This course is suitable for:
- people on the autism spectrum (including those with Asperger syndrome)
- parents, teachers, clinicians, professionals with an autism connection
The course gives you in-depth understanding of autism and Asperger syndrome and some of the associated issues. We give you an insight into how to develop appropriate support for individuals. We also discuss how to develop appropriate professional practice across all disciplines.
Some key topics include:
- specific cognitive differences
- sensory and perceptual issues in autism and Asperger syndrome
- risk assessment
- forensic issues
- behavioural problems
- ways of supporting individuals
- developmental issues
- developing social skills
- diagnosis as well
- perspectives from individuals on the autism spectrum
- current autism practice in relation to your own circumstances.
Course content (module 1)
Our content over the three attendance days will include topics such as psychological theories of autism and Asperger syndrome, social communication difficulties, sensory differences, perceived offending conduct and a variety of individual perspectives.*
Please note that spaces for November 2016 are now full so book now to save your place on future dates.
- London, NCVO, All Saints Street – 15, 16, 17 November 2016
- Manchester (Venue TBC) – 13, 14 and 15 June 2017
- London (Venue TBC) – 7, 8 and 9 November 2017
- Manchester (Venue TBC) – 12, 13 and 14 June 2018
- London (Venue TBC) – 6, 7 and 8 November 2018
This course consists of two modules. Module 1 awards 30 academic credits at Masters level after submission of a 6,000-word assignment.
To achieve the postgraduate certificate and a further 30 credits at Masters level, students must complete Module 2, a reflection of professional learning unit and another 6,000-word assignment. This credit can be used towards a full Masters. Participants should hold a degree or equivalent.
£1050 per module (*Fees are set by Sheffield Hallam University, subject to annual change. Applicable from September 2016).
If you are an overseas student interested in this course please contact us for information on fees.
How to apply
Download our application form
Closing dates for applications to this course are as follows:
- London 2016 – 10 October 2016
- Manchester 2017 – 16 May 2017
- London 2017 – 10 October 2017
- Manchester 2018 – 15 May 2018
- London 2018 – 9 October 2018
Due to the popularity of this course we advise early booking to avoid disappointment. To make an enquiry please call 0141 285 7117 (choose option 1 then option 1 again) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.