This one-day course will provide a comprehensive introduction to the autism spectrum. The course will focus on how and why people on the autism spectrum may be involved with the criminal justice system, as well as how professionals should be adapting their processes to meet their needs. Recognising and understanding the key areas of difference experienced by individuals on the autism spectrum is vital for providing effective support.
- identifying autism
- sensory processing in autism
- anxiety in autism
- special interests in autism
- creating enabling environments.
Who should attend?
This course is suitable for professionals working in the criminal justice system, eg police officers, prison workers, secure units staff and court staff who want to develop a general awareness and understanding of autism. Delegates will also have the opportunity to discuss their practices and how these can be adapted to meet the needs of people on the spectrum.
Benefits of attending
- gain an increased understanding of the autism spectrum
- be able to identify the main areas of difference
- understand that autism affects people in different ways
- identify differences in how people on the autism spectrum may process sensory information
- understand the effect of increased anxiety for people on the autism spectrum
- recognise the vulnerability of people with autism to be victims and to be coerced
- identify key characteristics that may play a part in the person offending
- identify and implement basic strategies of support.
The course focuses on providing the relevant theoretical knowledge and making links between theory and practice. Participants are encouraged to share their experiences and develop discussions around their understanding and practices, with the trainer's facilitation. The course places emphasis on reflective practice and examination of the participant's skills, attitudes and communication style. It makes use of presentation, group discussion and tasking, self-directed learning and video.
Training provided at a venue of your choice, inclusive of:
- one trainer for the full day
- delivered to a maximum of 25 participants (please contact us if you have a larger group and how we can accommodate this)
- training booklet provided for each delegate
- option of including a personal perspective speaker
- What is Autism leaflet for all participants
- participants added to relevant Network Autism group to receive alerts when topic they attended is coming up for discussion
- discount codes for relevant publications from The National Autistic Society.
Price: £1,395 + VAT
Please email email@example.com to make an enquiry.
To make a booking or to amend an existing booking please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel: 0141 285 7117
All places for training events with a location link must be booked via our online booking system (click on the book now link in the table above). If you require more information on using our online booking system to pay by invoice please click here