This one-day course will focus on the common toileting difficulties in children on the autism spectrum. Examining the potential reasons why children on the autism spectrum may have toileting difficulties, toilet training, specific continence issues alongside specific autism-related continence issues. It aims to help with understanding the potential impact of autism on learning to use the toilet, alongside discussing specific continence issues. The session will focus on both the need for detailed preparation, understanding of toileting readiness, alongside examining autism related continence difficulties such as only using certain toilets, smearing and sensory difficulties.
The course has been written by Dr Eve Fleming, Community Paediatrician and Lorraine MacAlister, a National Autistic Society Autism Training Consultant. Eve and Lorraine have both written on continence for the Nursing Times and are authors of the recently published book Toilet Training and the Autism Spectrum: A Guide for Professionals.
- autism and common toileting difficulties
- toilet training (including pre-toileting preparation & toileting readiness)
- specific continence issues (including constipation and bladder problems)
- specific autism issues
- working co-operatively with parents to develop toileting skills
- getting support (including local authority and national guidance).
Who should attend?
This course is aimed at those working with children on the autism spectrum who are experiencing difficulties with any aspect of toileting across a variety of settings. It is particularly relevant for continence advisors, nursing teams and school-based staff or advisors.
Benefits of attending
- increased understanding of autism and the underlying reasons for toileting difficulties
- develop skills to support toilet training and specific continence issues
- have ideas about management of specific autism issues
- opportunity to share experiences and support strategies with colleagues in other settings
- develop the ability to support parents in approaches to developing continence.
Training provided at a venue of your choice, inclusive of:
- one trainer for one full day
- delivered to a maximum of 25 participants (please contact us if you have a larger group and how we can accommodate this)
- participants added to relevant Network Autism group to receive alerts when topic they attended is coming up for discussion.
Price: £1,350 + VAT
Scheduled open events
|22 February 2017
||£185 + VAT
|15 March 2017
||£185 + VAT
To make an enquiry please call 0141 285 7117 and choose option 1 then option 1 again or email email@example.com.
To book or to amend a booking please call 0141 285 7117 and choose option 2 then option 1 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
All places for training events with a location link must be booked via our online booking system (click on the book now link above). If you require more information on using our online booking system to pay by invoice please read our guidance (will open PDF).