We offer mentoring support to students with an autism spectrum disorder (ASD) who are in higher education in London.
Our student mentoring support service is tailored to your individual needs but commonly covers time management, organisational skills, personal management, communication skills, social skills and dealing with the transition to university life.
We also provide various kinds of practical support, including:
support and reassurance in lectures and lab sessions
orientation around university
developing strategies to manage anxiety
Our student support service aims to:
- make sure that staff working with you have an awareness of ASD
- identify realistic adaptations that can be put in place to support you
- identify areas where you may have social and communication difficulties and discuss ways of addressing these
- define the different areas of responsibility that staff have, so that you know who to approach about different issues
- identify a mentor who we can give awareness training to
- increase your ability to cope independently at college or university
The support is run on an appointment basis: our specialist mentors can meet you at your college or university, or you can visit our offices, if this is practical.
Our student support service is funded by Disability Student Allowance (DSA). This must be in place before we can offer our service, unless funding is available from other sources. Specialist mentoring costs £72.50 per hour, and practical support £36.25.
As we are funded through DSA, our main aims are to make sure everyone involved with you has an understanding of ASD, and that you're clear about the work you must do in order to complete your course.
As all students' needs are different we suggest that you, or a representative, contact us to talk about what support is available and if our service can meet your needs.
Find out more
To find out more about our London student support service and costs, contact:
Tel: 0207 704 3810